Lay’s Potato Chips recently announced their second annual “Do Me A Flavor” potato chip contest. Once again, the company is turning to us to find its next big specialty flavor. Last year, Cheesy Garlic Bread was deemed the winner. This year, the competition is equally fierce!
While many have kept to the tradition of naming match-made-in-heaven food combinations like Asiago Dill, a sub-genre of joke-inspired suggestions has emerged. Though it is doubtful that Lay’s will be making “Blood Of My Enemies”-flavored chips anytime soon, it is Cater2.me’s duty to toss our hat into the ring and figure out the most imaginative taste combinations of all time. Here are our top creations:
- Summer Camp Chips: Smoked Cedar, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, and Bear Mace
- New Job Chips: Spearmint, Coffee Grounds, and Perspiration
- LARP Chips: Mead, Cardboard, and Healing Salve
- Sochi Olympics Chips: Borscht, Gold Flakes, and Freedom
- 1994 Bagged Lunch Chips: Lunchables’ Bologna, Warheads, and Hi-C
- Snow Day Chips: Rock Salt, Hot Cocoa Mix, and Flannel
And it would only be fair to share some of our favorite (real) flavor recommendations as well. If we were after the 1 million dollar prize and snack food glory, we would think about these food combinations:
- Matcha Green Tea Chips: Matcha Green Tea Powder, Condensed Milk and Honey Glaze
- Mango Chutney Chips: Mango, Chili Pepper, and Tumeric Powder
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Chicken Chips: Caramel, Chicken Bouillon, and Pretzel Pieces
- Inspired by our New York City food partner, Sticky’s Finger Joint!
- Baba Ghanouj Chips: Roasted Eggplant, Tahini, and Garlic Powder
Feeling inspired? The contest’s deadline is April 5th so there is still plenty of time to get snackin’! Please also share your entries with us in the comments section below, so we can say we knew you before you were famous.